Skip Navigation Links
Home
About Us
Candidates
Voting Info
Officials
Events
Donations
Volunteer
Links
Contact Us
   
Historic Bingham House
The historic Bingham House, across from the Courthouse in Mercer, serves as the headquarters for our local Republican Committee. It was the birthplace of John Bingham, who presided as judge advocate at the trial of the conspirators in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Bingham also served as U.S. Minister to Japan. He was council in the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson in 1868. He was a teacher, Congressman, lawyer, and patriot.
 
The two-story red brick house built in 1812 preceded the Republican Party by a half century but Bingham was one of the nation's staunchest Republicans. It was built by Bingham's father, Hugh Bingham, a carpenter, who served Mercer County as Prothonotary and Commissioner just after the first courthouse was erected in the square.
 
Under the tenure of William C. Campbell, the Bingham House was purchased in 1966 by the G.O.P. The exterior of the building has been restored in a manner of which we can be proud. The interior will be restored as soon as funds are available.
 
The building is currently being renovated and all donations are welcome. If you are interested in making a donation please click here...
   
  ©2018 Mercer GOP | Design by Reeves Info Tech | Site Content Maintained by Mercer GOP.